Friday, June 22, 2012

[Fantastic Five Friday] Five Favorite TV Shows From Childhood

If you thought I was a mixed bag of random crazy before, you're definitely in for a treat today.  Thanks to The Weekly Enthusiast for this awesome meme of Fantastic Five Friday so I could take this trip down Memory Lane.  I feel this list will be very revealing into what it's like Growing Up Nerdy.

Starting with the most obvious:
1. My Little Pony/Strawberry Shortcake
Why did I combine 2 into 1?  For purposes of including more than 5 shows (technicalities FTW!) and also because I don't remember watching the TV series for these shows, only their standalone TV specials.  As a child, I referred to them as "movies" anyway.  According to legend, I would line up my Ponies on the sofa and watch their "movie" with them.  Reasons why I love the Internet?  The entire MLP episode is ON YOUTUBE.


As for Ms. Shortcake, here's a clip from "The Baby Without A Name," which I provide for its inclusion of The Peculiar Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak.


2. Rainbow Brite
Now, there was a movie for Rainbow Brite that I loved, but this one did have a TV series!  And I loved it too!  I always thought that, as a wee Jeskuh, I looked like an IRL version of Rainbow Brite.  Sans yarn hair, of course.  For your enjoyment, here's a kind of awesome video of Rainbow Brite set to "We Are All Made of Stars" by Moby.  (Did I mention already that I love the Internet?)


3. Misfits of Science
AND now begins the random.  Have you heard of this show??  I'm guessing no.  It's cheesy 80s awesome, and it's a must-see for anyone who loves super hero shows.  My dad loved it, and he was apparently one of the only ones, because it never made it past Season 1.  However, he recorded them all (on VHS, natch), so I pretty much wore the tapes out watching them over and over and over.  I wanted to be Gloria when I was a kid.  If I ever get a chance to meet Courteney Cox, I should tell her that.  It'll blow her mind.


4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
I think this show might be the reason I love Spider-Man.  He was sort of a celebrity in our house since he taught my brother to read.  If you thought Misfits of Science was cheesy... man, you don't even know what awaits you in the clip below.  The Hubs can't abide this show because Ice Man and Firestar constantly and consistently cancel each other out.  He thinks Spider-Man is better than that.  Bonus: Stan Lee narrates many of the episodes, and he has the BEST voice!


AND FINALLY
5. Family Feud (but only with Ray Combs)
Every summer of elementary school, I would wake up to The Feud.  My brother and I would watch the two episodes, then immediately get our pool stuff ready to spend the rest of the afternoon swimming and playing basketball and swinging during Adult Swim (not to be confused with Adult Swim).  We had a FF game on our PC too, and each team had a Father, Mother, Brother, Sister... and Boy.  If you were the visiting family and you got a Strike, the Father put his finger up his nose.  Oh, the 80s.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is funny that what I remember most about the shows I watched are the opening songs. I loved My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite & Strawberry Shortcake as well. I also loved Lady Lovely Locks, Care Bears (did they have a tv show?) I also just remembered a movie I wasn't a cartoon but The Hugga Bunch Special, which is online. I also played He-man and She-ra with my cousin and watched Thundercats with my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Care Bears did have a show... I think. I remember watching it anyway, though the Care Bears movies stick with me more-- especially the 2nd one where they're at camp! I love that one!!

      Delete
  2. MY LITTLE PONY!!! I remember the original series. I loved that series.

    ReplyDelete