Sunday, April 28, 2013

Day 28 – First TV Show Obsession

As a lifelong fan of TV, it's hard to gauge what my first TV show "obsession" was.  Should I go with something from childhood like My Little Pony or Strawberry Shortcake?  What about a show I watched mostly in reruns, like Saved By The Bell (which most kids of the 90s know aired every day 4 times a day, and you betta believe I watched all 4 episodes daily, which means I have seen every episode of the OG SBTB at least a billion times) or Boy Meets World?  For this, I decided to go with the show I chose for me as Must See TV, even though the ads told me that's exactly what it was.

Friends
This was another show I watched with my family, but it was one of the first shows I really chose to watch that made me feel like a grown-up.  It wasn't a sitcom with kids my age in it, and occasionally there would be jokes that went over my head, but it was my appointment show.  Seeing as I was a busy kid in high school, it was hard to have appointment shows (what with the band practices or play practices or chorus practices or clarinet lessons getting in the way) (yes, I was that artsy kid), but this was the first.  It also helped carry me through my freshman year of college, which is always a weird, weird year.  My roommate and I would watch the late night syndicated reruns, and it was one of the first things we bonded over.  I still think of her every time I see The One After The Super Bowl.  It also also helped carry me through another tough time in life.  I was there for them, and they were there for me too.

Another fun fact: I'm somewhat of a Friends trivia genius.  I have retained a ton of information about these 6 characters, which is sad considering they aren't real people.  Oh boy, I may quote Scrubs a lot, but this show... this is my home base.  Brother once tried to challenge me to a duel.  He lost, though not by a landslide.  He was a worthy opponent.  I still kicked his ass, though.  So, take that.
credit to fyeahfriendsgifs.tumblr.com
Rumors circulated recently about a  Friends reunion.  Personally, I wouldn't want that.  I loved this series, even in its not-as-funny years (though, that 9th season finale!! SO funny!), but I think it ended on a perfect note for itself.  Everything doesn't need a reunion just because.  It would be fun to find out what the characters are up to now, but it wouldn't be the same, and it shouldn't be forced.

In closing, one thing I do when I'm feeling down or blue is watch blooper reels on YouTube.  I definitely frequent the Friends ones, because Matthew Perry is legit hilarious and Lisa Kudrow has a GREAT laugh.  I've watched them so many times, but I always laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment