Friday, June 25, 2010

Johnny Cash & Michael Jackson, we apologize.

When I heard the news that Johnny Cash died on September 12, 2003 (via a call from my cousin telling me that John Ritter died randomly and also "some guy named Johnny Cash?"), I immediately called my brother, who got me into Cash.  My bro said quietly, "I think I killed him."  After my response of "huuum-na?" he explained to me that the previous day (Sept. 11), he wore a black suit, black shirt, and black tie to work, and one of his students called him The Man In Black.  He admitted he'd never been called that before, which according to him, caused Johnny Cash to die.  It wasn't, you know, the diabetes and years of hard livin' or anything.

Fast forward to June 25, 2009.  I was at work at the Worst Law Firm Ever, and my GBF (who I miss more than life!) peeked over the cube wall and say, "Dude, Farrah Fawcett died!"  We had a moment of sadness, and we pressed on through the day.  After work, he and I were on the way back to my place (to get dinner and drop him off in DC), and we started talking about that Celebrities Die in Threes urban myth.  My theory is that each celebrity that passes has to be more famous than the one that died before, and the third one is the biggest star of them all.  Since Ed McMahon had also died earlier that week, we knew a third was coming, and we knew it had to be bigger than Farrah Fawcett.  Very nonchalantly, I threw into the ether, "It's gonna have to be like Michael Jackson or something!"

Unbeknownst to me, Michael Jackson had been rushed to the hospital about an hour before.

We walked in the door, and Hubs asked if we heard the news.  Confused as to why Hubs has suddenly taken an interest in Farrah Fawcett, I replied that we had.  Then, we glanced at the TV to find that, officially, MJ had been pronounced dead.  I slapped my forehead and yelled, "Oh crap!  I killed Michael Jackson!"

Maybe the craziness runs in the family.  Maybe we just don't have the proper brain filter during these trying times.  Maybe this is the most ridiculous story I have.  All I know is that, in times of celebrity death crisis, my brother and I still think we have to take the blame.

2 comments:

  1. I like TV and knitting, too! But I can't forgive your brother for what he did to Johnny Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.deathlist.net/ Don't say any of these names or you may have another MJ moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete