Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Goal Met, and A Wee-Little Rant

I officially started the 10K training yesterday.  I say official because I hadn't been running, just Shredding.  I should have started 8 weeks before the "race" and so I was a little concerned as to how I would do today.  Today was a 2.5 mile day, and I usually don't go that far when I jog/run/whatever.  When I was doing that "couch to 5k" thing, I would run according to time rather than distance.  So, I was a little nervous, but I was like, whatever, I gotta do it so I was just gonna try it.

Now, I feel I must thank Jillian AGAIN.  I did something I haven't done in a really long time, if ever.  This is kind of sad, but I'm excited so I thought I would say it.

I ran for one whole mile straight.

This has been a goal of mine since I started doing more athletic/work-out things.  I used to run track in middle school (one whole year!  woooo!), and my "event" was half mile.  Even then, when I was running DAILY and competing, I don't remember going a whole mile without stopping to walk for a bit.  And I was 12 years old!  You're supposed to be all crazy active and crap when you're 12!  So yesterday was a pretty awesome day for me.  Maybe it's a silly goal, but hey, it's MY goal and I reached it.  THEN, I did my 2.5 miles, and I kept up the pace we'd need to keep to finish in 90 minutes, like Mom wants to.  In general, WTG, me.

I've been watching/reading/listening to all this Kevin Smith stuff lately.  I love the Kev, as I have since I was 15 years old.  I know he's a big dude, and I know this is kind of a blown-out-of-proportion story, but holy crap, this is so embarrassing.  I wouldn't wish this kind of press on anyone, even someone I hate.  The other thing about this is, so I read the comments other people post on major news sites about this story.  THAT is the most terrifying part, because they are hate-filled rants about how all fat people need to die and they are disgusting and they should kill themselves for being so disgusting and good for Southwest for telling him he's gross.  That boggles my mind, because... that's a kind of hate I don't understand.  I want to say I can't believe it, but the sad part is I can.  This is one of those hot button issues that usually gets swept under the rug, but I seriously feel like there is a hatred of fat people here, which is weird because Americans ARE FAT.  We eat processed foods, and we're sedentary, if I can generalize.  This is why I work out, this is why I try to eat better.  I am habitually lazy (have been all my life!), and if it weren't for some excellent recessive genes, I would easily be one of those people that has a hard time and struggles with their weight, and that thought scares me because I don't want to become a "person of size" as Southwest calls them.  I'm not saying we should all be lazy and eat what we want and not worry about health issues and stuff; I'm just saying we shouldn't HATE people to the point of TELLING THEM TO DIE because they are overweight.  That is simply horrifying to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment