Thursday, July 8, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

...if you have an addiction to television.  That's right, it's not just any old Thursday.  It's Emmy Nomination Thursday!  Woooooooo!  Can you dig it?

Alright, I'm not posting my guesses for who will win yet (I'll do that once we get closer to the event on August 29), but I'll give you my quick, knee-jerk reactions to the nomination list.  Here goes.
*GLEE!  Lots of noms for Glee, but the ones that make me happiest are Lea Michele, Jane Lynch [obvi], Mike O'Malley, and Chris Colfer.  Oh oh, Chris Colfer.  Love him in a way that's not even right.  I knew he was getting a nod when this happened.  Holy crap, it's amazing.  He just OWNS it, makes it his own, makes you forget about Ethel Merman, Patti LuPone, Bernadette Peters.  LOVE IT.  I also love the Mike O'Malley nod because I think his role on Glee is one that is so important in times like these.  This man, while obviously uncomfortable with his son's homosexuality, could not love his son any more than he does.  He FIGHTS for Kurt, shows his love as well as says it.  The great American public needs to see that there is nothing wrong with acceptance, even when you don't have understanding.

*I am so OVER Tony Shaloub, it ain't even funny anymore.  Thank Zombie Jesus there's no more Monk so hopefully he can STOP being in this category and taking away perfectly good nominations for people like Joel McHale.  And, while we're on the subject...

*Where's the love for Community???  Nothing?  NOTHING?  Have these people been watching the same show I have?  Did they NOT see the Paintball??  I mean... wow.  Just... speechless with passing anger.  And... it's passing...

*Okay, so.  I'm also excited that, while HIMYM irritated me this year, NPH got another Supporting Actor shot as well as an Outstanding Guest Actor nod for his Bryan Ryan role on Glee.  I listened to him singing "Dream On" in the car this morning, and while I don't think that's particularly Emmy-worthy, he wails on those high notes.  Like, wails.  [Sorry, couldn't resist...]

*CONAN!  Heeeeeeee.  I am really, really, REALLY anti-Leno.  I still refuse to watch it.  I always change the channel when he comes on, and I have since his stupid 10 pm travesty was on before he came back like a little whiny McWhiner.  I won't even watch it if my favorite stars would be on there.  I don't care if the guests are John Cusack and Lauren Graham and Paul Rudd and the musical guests are The Beatles from the 1960's who arrived via DeLorean.  DON'T CARE.  NOT WATCHING.  Conan's team was nominated not just for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series, but ALSO in the Outstanding Writing category.  I usually root for the Daily Show to win the Writing category because we met one of the writers a few years back and it's fun to see him on TV, but sorry buddy.  I'm all Team Coco this year.

*I'm also glad that 30 Rock didn't get a million zillion nominations this year.  I know that people find the show to be high-larious, and I myself have been compared to Tina Fey more times than I can shake a stick at [God forbid a woman with straight brown hair wear glasses, but it beats the previous Lisa Loeb reference], but I've never really been entertained by 30 Rock.  I feel like it was made for people like me too, people who watch a lot of TV and see it as art and know its ins and outs and therefore can make fun of it.

That's all I got for now.  When I get to August, you'll get some predictions.  Also, on Saturday, I'll be heading out of town to visit my friend in St. Louis! Woo!  So I might not post next week, or they'll be short.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment