Thursday, January 14, 2010

Golden Globes! I love Award Season!

With the Golden Globe Awards airing on Sunday, I would like to commemorate this occasion by actually posting some predictions on who I think will win in the TV categories and why.  I would do the movies too, but since I watch more TV, I feel I am more of an expert in it than movies.  Without further ado, here goes.  (Props to Ken Tucker of EW for typing all this up so I could copy and paste it from him.)

!- BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
a. BIG LOVE
b. DEXTER
c. HOUSE
d. MAD MEN
e. TRUE BLOOD
I don't want to diss TB, which I love, but Mad Men had an impressive season this year.  Dexter could be a sleeper, but I think the men of Sterling Cooper (Draper & Pryce) will be victorious.
UPDATE- This was a tough category to predict, and now I feel smart :)

X- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
a. GLENN CLOSE, DAMAGES
b. JANUARY JONES, MAD MEN
c. JULIANNA MARGULIES, THE GOOD WIFE
d. ANNA PAQUIN, TRUE BLOOD
e. KYRA SEDGWICK, THE CLOSER
I'm going a little rogue on this one, and I'd love to see some Julianna or Anna love, but I'm going with Glenn.  She will not be ignored.  (Sorry, had to.)
UPDATE- I ask for it, I got it!  Yay, former Nurse Hathaway!

!- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
a. SIMON BAKER, THE MENTALIST
b. MICHAEL C. HALL, DEXTER
c. JON HAMM, MAD MEN
d. HUGH LAURIE, HOUSE
e. BILL PAXTON, BIG LOVE
I do not watch Dexter (yet...), but I hear amazing things about it, especially this past season.  Bonus: I love MCH from Six Feet Under, so that's part of the reason I pick him.
UPDATE- Oh my GOSH, I don't know how to feel about him wearing that cap.  It's breaking my heart...

!- BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
a. 30 ROCK
b. ENTOURAGE
c. GLEE
d. MODERN FAMILY
e. THE OFFICE
This one's just for me.  I heart you, Glee, with a red hot, obsessive passion.
UPDATE- Yaaaay!!

X- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
a. TONI COLLETTE, UNITED STATES OF TARA
b. COURTENEY COX, COUGAR TOWN
c. EDIE FALCO, NURSE JACKIE
d. TINA FEY, 30 ROCK
e. LEA MICHELE, GLEE
There is a reason everyone loves her.  Heck, I don't even watch 30 Rock (please don't start with me...), but I love Tina.  It may be because I am often told I remind people of her, even when I'm not wearing my glasses.  It beats a Lisa Loeb comparison...
UPDATE- Crap, I knew I should've gone with my b'day buddy, Toni.

!- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
a. ALEC BALDWIN, 30 ROCK
b. STEVE CARELL, THE OFFICE
c. DAVID DUCHOVNY, CALIFORNICATION
d. THOMAS JANE, HUNG
e. MATTHEW MORRISON, GLEE
Again, there is a reason everyone loves him.  He's funny.  He's got that straight man shtick down.
UPDATE- His acceptance speech was my favorite.

!- BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
a. GEORGIA O’KEEFFE
b. GREY GARDENS
c. INTO THE STORM
d. LITTLE DORRIT
e. TAKING CHANCE
Edies are crazy.  Watch the documentary.  It should be big again, since Hoarders has taken the world by storm.
UPDATE- Everybody loves a Hoarder.

X- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
a. JOAN ALLEN, GEORGIA O’KEEFFE
b. DREW BARRYMORE, GREY GARDENS
c. JESSICA LANGE, GREY GARDENS
d. ANNA PAQUIN, THE COURAGEOUS HEART OF IRENA SENDLER
e. SIGOURNEY WEAVER, PRAYERS FOR BOBBY
Jessica took home the Emmy over Drew.  I call it again.
UPDATE- Whoops?  WTG, Drew.

X- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
a. KEVIN BACON, TAKING CHANCE
b. KENNETH BRANAGH, WALLANDER: ONE STEP BEHIND
c. CHIWETEL EJIOFOR, ENDGAME
d. BRENDAN GLEESON, INTO THE STORM
e. JEREMY IRONS, GEORGIA O’KEEFFE
1. I like Brendan Gleeson, especially as Mad-Eye Moody. 2. When he won his Emmy, they played "Into the Storm," which I also played in high school. 3. I think it would be funny to hear the song again.
UPDATE- I love the Baconator.  I also like that Kyra was sincerely happy for him too!

X- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
a. JANE ADAMS, HUNG
b. ROSE BYRNE, DAMAGES
c. JANE LYNCH, GLEE
d. JANET McTEER, INTO THE STORM
e. CHLOƋ SEVIGNY, BIG LOVE
Jane Lynch is incredible.  Her delivery is impeccable.  Her timing is amazing.  She is a pitch-perfect villain in a show where the characters constantly burst into song.  She deserves more than this.
UPDATE- I am so upset!  Sue does not C it this way...

!- BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
a. MICHAEL EMERSON, LOST
b. NEIL PATRICK HARRIS, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
c. WILLIAM HURT, DAMAGES
d. JOHN LITHGOW, DEXTER
e. JEREMY PIVEN, ENTOURAGE
AS MUCH AS IT PAINS ME to not pick NPH because I friggin' love him and I want all the awards ever to be given to him, John Lithgow is scaaaa-ry.  Mostly, as long as it's not Piven's, I'm pretty much pleased.
UPDATE- Woo!

As far as 30DS goes, I'm feeling pretty good.  I swear I look thinner, but mostly I think my perception of myself has changed.  I feel thinner, therefore I am.  I hate getting up early, and I hate side lunges with shoulder raises, and sometimes I want to leap through the TV and punch Jillian in her FACE, but it's working.  Right now, I want to begrudgingly thank her.  On Day 30, I will probably want to run to her house and thank her in person.

UPDATE- 6-11!  Which means, more than 50%!  In my head, success!  And good grief, the Golden Globes are so awkward!

No comments:

Post a Comment