Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 08 – Most overrated book

There was no debate for me when it came to choose my book for today.  None at all.  This will probably be my easiest decision of the entire challenge.

Shiver cover by Stiefvater Pictures, Images and Photos

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

This book is all over the YA section, along with its sequels Linger and Forever.  So many readers are completely gaga over it.  They love the wonderfully rich story, the lyrical writing, the intense romantic connection between Sam and Grace.  Plus, Maggie is a VA girl, like me.  I didn't expect to be utterly blown away by this when I started it, but I did expect to like it.  And I didn't.

I didn't connect with the characters.  I thought the writing was good but ill-fitting with the story and what I interpreted to be the voices of the characters.  I thought the wolf mythology was interesting enough but also, meh.  Honestly, I didn't feel a thing when I read this.  I could see where the emotions were and where I should have been affected, but mostly I just wanted it to be over.  I guess I can see why it's so popular, and I do think it's better than some of the books I've read in the past, but it didn't inspire an overwhelming need to know what happened to the characters.  Even if I don't particularly like a book, I usually still read the sequels, just to have the knowledge of where the story went.  For this one, I didn't really care.  Hence, in my opinion, overrated.

Maybe one day I'll read it again and be able to see what all the hubbub is about.  Until then, I've found that you don't have to go to Europe in order to just be whelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment