Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 21 – Favorite book from your childhood

I already talked about this back in December, but here's a few more reasons why this book resonates with me.

Tuck Everlasting Pictures, Images and Photos

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

It's just really good.

Oh, you want more than that?  Okay.  It's really really good.

Seriously, this story enchanted me as a child, which is a weird thing to say about a book that tackles the subject of immortality and the consequences it brings.  That's something you never think of at that age.  You say you'd like to live forever... but what does "living forever" actually mean?  The Tucks know, and it's not so simple.  Things never are.  Like I said, I do love the bittersweet.

Also, I grew up in a house filled with comic books and sci-fi movies, but I always tended to read more "contemporary" books rather than fantasy books with supernatural elements (until Fear Street, that is).  I always thought Tuck Everlasting had the best mix of fantasy elements while still being grounded in a real environment.

Lastly, I just adore the title.  I'm really into words (um, duh), and I especially love the sounds and combinations of sounds of certain words.  Everlasting... it conjures the imagery before you even crack the spine.  Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment