Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

SO THIS WAS TOTALLY DUE YESTERDAY.
But I (obviously) didn't do it.
Why?  There are a few reasons.  One, I felt turrible, and I couldn't even think about looking at a computer screen for longer than I needed.  I'm actually in the middle of creating what I think is a Great Idea For A Book, and I would have loved to start outlining\drafting it up, but instead, I took a wicked long nap.  Like... wicked long.  As in I went to bed at about 9 pm (and that's being generous with my guess as to what time I really fell asleep).

The other reason I didn't write this yesterday?  There was this article in the NY Times (that I refuse to link to because I don't think it should receive more traffic) that said adults should only read books for adults and stop reading books written for and about teenagers.  It was poorly researched (as in the author panned The Hunger Games while admitting to not reading it nor will he ever read it because it's a "children's book") and openly snobby.

Sadly, though, it kind of worked as in I felt a little ashamed that I was about to defend this book.  BUT, whatever, I dealt with that, I've moved on, and now I'm here to defend myself for actually liking a book that I feel all of my YA Mafia friends will mock me about for a long, long time.

breaking dawn Pictures, Images and Photos

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

First things first: I am not stating that I think this is a particularly great book.  In fact, I think it's the giant sore thumb of the entire Twilight "saga."  The first three novels fit together as a nice little trilogy with just a few strings left unresolved.  Those threads could have been resolved without going into this story, but I do understand it.  I would have left at least one Big Bad besides the Volturri to deal with in this one, but that's just me.

I've started and restarted this paragraph way too many times now, so I'm aware of how much I've overthinking this.  BUT, I'm also realizing that what I like about this book isn't the book itself, but more of the concept of it.  How Bella Swan goes from this wholly awkward weakling to a fully formed awesome vampire who can do awesome things and needs to do said awesome things in order to keep her family from being slaughtered by a group of really, really old guys.  I like the concept of Jacob & Bella being so drawn to one another because of the imprint in her DNA.  I like the concept of the Volturri wanting Edward and Alice and Bella, so they create a reason to come after them before they actually have a reason to come after them.

The problem is in the execution of these concepts.

HOWEVER, I'm here to talk about why I like this book rather than dislike it.  I think I give more credit to the concept than most because, again, this novel really falls short in the execution part of things.  When I first read these, my sister-in-law said that she felt this was the only book of the series that felt like a grown woman speaking rather than a teenager, and I see that, definitely.  Bella may be an "old soul," but she loses all bit of teenager in this story.

Ugh, I'm still not defending this, am I?

Alright, fine.  I can't.  I just like it.  I don't know why.  I like it more now that the movie made me laugh to the point of stomach hurt.  I REALLY like the fact that the second movie will give Lee Pace some work (OMG EYEBROWS).  I so get the reasons why people do not like this.  I'm just not one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment