Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 11 – A book you hated

I was really looking forward to writing this one, but I seem to have caught some awful virus and I feel like poo on toast, so the wit might be lacking.  Much like it was in this book.

Switched Pictures, Images and Photos

The Trylle Series by Amanda Hocking

Amanda Hocking is famous for being a self-made millionaire because she self-published a bunch of books.  They were all about 99 cents on e-readers, and they were all lendable, so word of mouth helped her out.  My friend Clone was reading this series, and she kept texting me her frustrations.  That's when I knew I had to read this.  I'm a fan of cheesy movies & cheesy TV so I thought maybe it would be along those lines.

Turns out, no.

So much of this made me very, very angry.  There were parts I liked, but as a whole, do not want.  It took me ages to read the first book because I mentally edited it after every sentence.  The writing did improve over the course of the series, though.  I just couldn't get into it at all.  And then, just when it seemed alright, she added a character for no dang reason except for... you know, I don't even know why.  I will never understand.  It didn't make a lick of sense to me.

Also, this book is about trolls.  Trolls who get rich by stealing people's money.  All I could think of was this ridiculous game I used to play called Trolls on Treasure Island that I adored despite its terribleness.  I mention this redonk game to illustrate 2 points: 1- my tastes aren't always to be trusted and 2- I have the ability to like trolls.

Amanda Hocking continues to write and publish, and more power to her.  Obviously, people enjoy this series because she's made a ton of money from it.  Also obviously, I am not one of those people.

2 comments:

  1. I love this series!! (Your blog series, not the book you hate series.) And seriously LOL'd at Easy A. One of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you love it. I'm having tons of fun with this Challenge.

    ReplyDelete