Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day 06 – Favorite episode of your favorite show

[Warning: this might be a bit of a downer]

Yesterday, I talked about watching sad videos in preparation for this entry.  Why would I watch sad videos to prepare to talk about my favorite episode of my favorite show?  Whedonites know why.

Because my favorite episode of Buffy is the best episode of Buffy which is also the saddest episode of Buffy.  It's called "The Body," but if it were an episode of Friends, its title would be "The One Where Joyce Summers Dies."

I've already talked about this episode here, so I won't repeat that.  What I wanted to do is post a video of Anya giving her monologue, which is amazing.  I wanted to say it's the best part of the episode, but I really don't think there's one "part" that's any better than the other.  The whole thing is exquisite to watch; it's television at its finest.  Sadly, I can't find any videos of it.  Below is a transcript.  I think of Anya's speech often.  It's exactly how I've felt on too many occasions.


"But I don't understand. I don't understand how this all happens. How we go through this. I mean, I knew her, and then she's- There's just a body, and I don't understand why she just can't get back in it and not be dead anymore. It's stupid. It's mortal and stupid. And-and Xander's crying and not talking, and-and I was having fruit punch, and I thought, well, Joyce will never have any more fruit punch ever, and she'll never have eggs, or yawn or brush her hair, not ever, and no one will explain to me why."

1 comment:

  1. That is a good episode, even though it causes my eyes to leak.

    ReplyDelete